Thursday, September 25, 2008

CHICKEN... CHICKEN... AND MORE CHICKEN!!!

This past month I have had the opportunity to expand my learnings... and my food storage!!I have been on this HUGE food storage kick!! It started more than a month ago.. our ward/stake has been doing the dry pack canning and I have been purchasing at least a case of each item I think our family would enjoy. Such as spaghetti, rice, oats, powdered milk.. ect., to go along with this my wonderful Mom and Dad have taught me how to can (bottle) chicken. It was not as hard as I thought it would be.... of course my Dad cut up all the chicken, then all we had to do was put it in the jars and pressure cook it!The chicken looks gross, but taste fab!! It has been super nice to just go to the pantry and whoalla have chicken ready to eat..
Last weekend we made jam. Peach raspberry and peach strawberry. It is so yummy! It was so much fun too. Thanks again Mom and Dad for the lesion and great time together!! As we were working on the jam I felt like I needed more chicken.. I know we don't have 2 years worth, so lucky for me Macey's had chicken on sale for $1.39 a pound. So I had Sarah run pick me up a case 40 pounds. So this weekend I will be canning more chicken! I can't wait.
I am also going to get some case lot items!! Yay! I love coupons! It takes a lot of time and work to get them cut and organized, but oh so worth it when you see your bill go from $130.00 or so to $37.00 that is NO joke!! I love LOVE it! Thanks to my incredible sister in law Arnica!Thanks to her for all her help!

So this is not on the subject of food storage... actually complete opposite, but it happened this morning so I needed to write about it. Thursdays are usually my day "off" but I traded for a girl. So Matt was in charge of taking Dylan to Malinda's. I had him ready!!!!
About 10 to 8 Matt calls me and informs me he officially gagged for the first time changing Dylan's poopy! LOL I guess the poor guy (Dylan) had a blow out so Matt got a little taste of how those mornings go where you are ready to run out the door.. then you have to change/clean up your poor STINKY child! I'm just glad it was Matt and not me!

2 comments:

Chance & Rachel said...

lol. i have chicken coming out my ears as well! i don't know how to bottle it though... that would be a handy way to store it!

Howells Fam said...

I'm impressed! I would have no idea whatsoever how to can chicken! So useful though, my parents just gave us some from the cannery and it tastes pretty darn good too - I think for now, we'll stick to that (so much less work)!