Friday, June 15, 2012

Soft Palate and our first ER visit

June 7, 2012 back in January this date seemed ages away.  And we are now very glad this day has come and gone. 

June 1 we headed down to PCMC to clinic for Tenna's ears.  She has never passed a hearing test.  She could get a pass on her right side, but never on her left.  I'm sure I have talked about that before.  So we were just meeting with the ENT Dr. Park to check her ears and tubes to make sure if she needed new ones that we could just piggy back on her coming up surgery.  WELL best day ever!!!  Her tubes looked great, ears looked great, drum roll.......  we got a PASS on both ears!!!  Matt, me and the audiologist did a little happy dance.  Tenna was/is such a flirt.  She was the happiest baby for her appointments.  Well really until the DR. had to clean out all the wax.  That was a bit rough on the little lady. Over all a very successful day!!!

June 7 the dreaded day.  I always have a big pit in my stomach knowing I have to hand my baby over to a stranger, and really knowing that the next time I see her she will be one miserable little baby.  We got checked in about 7:15 and Tenna was just as happy as a pig in poo the entire wait.  The waiting room was pretty packed, but it was nice because it helped keep Tenna entertained.  If we had a nickle for all the times she is called a BOY we could have paid for our tank of gas...  I even painted her nails bright pink.  This little girl needs to grow some hair!

Our wait in pre op wasn't very long.  The best part about an early check in is the Dr's/OR's don't have much to get them behind!! Dr. Morales came in looked at us and came walking over pretty fast, the first words out of his mouth as he shook Matt's hand was, "She needs a helmet!!"  My heart sunk.  I wasn't very happy about it.  I know she has a flat spot, but I figured it was an "Owen" head.  needless to say, we will be adding another page to her scrapbook!  She is one high maintenance little lady.  Watch out boys in her future!

Surgery went great.  It lasted just under 2 hours.  Dr. Morales closed the soft tissue only.  We knew before that her cleft was so wide that it would need the soft palate to be done in the two step series.  We were fine with that, but deep down I was hoping it could be closed in one step.  We are just glad he doesn't want to do the second step for a year.  It's the small things, right?!

From the time Dr. Morales met with us to the time they called one parent for Tenna was much less sickening than last time.  It was a quick 5-10 min.  I was so grateful.  I HATE that wait.  It still isn't easy.  I still cried when I walked away from the double doors.  As hard as I tried not too.  I'm a baby.  I think now I just know how miserable the following days will be that I dread that too. 



She was throwing a pretty good fit when I got back to the PACU, and I couldn't get her to calm down, finally the nurse decided we should try some pain meds.  We did just that 10 min later she was much calmer, so calm they made me put her in her crib and put air on her.  Little stinker!!!  It wasn't as scary as the first time, but her stats were not where they wanted them.  I was okay to put her in her bed and get air.  I would have much rather held her, but I didn't do well the last time she stopped breathing and turned blue in my arms.

The surgeon placed a little stitch through her tongue and taped it to her cheek.  It is to help pull the tongue out.  They keep it in until the next day in case there is much swelling they have an easy access to pull her tongue out.  She didn't care for it much.  But to be honest I don't think she cared for the entire situation much.


We were put on the 3rd floor this time.  IN OUR OWN ROOM!!!!!!  Tenna was doing pretty good, as long as we kept the nubain in her. (pain meds) if she was pretty doped up she would eat decent.  If there wasn't any she would act like she wanted her bottle, but as soon as it touched her mouth she would get pissed.  Needless to say we learned that it is best to just stay on top of the pain.  Our room got pretty small after a couple hours.  We resorted to taking walks. She loved walks.  I did too, it was nice to see something other than our room.  I have a hard time though because it makes me sick to see so many sick kids.  Kids shouldn't be in hospitals. We were able to go home around 3PM June 8.  We were pretty excited.  I felt much better about leaving this time than I did the last time.  It must have been that calm before the storm feeling. 

Saturday Tenna wouldn't eat, all she would do is sleep, and cry.  I tried to keep her on pain meds, and ibu because she was still running a low grade fever, with once in a while it being around 103  she had been running one while at PCMC and they just had mentioned we give her Motrin every 4-6 hours to help with the fever.  I had also expected her to be constipated, she has been in the past following surgery but I wasn't planning on helping her on day 2.  She started acting funny and like she was really trying to push, but then she would just start screaming and then her breathing got really funny.  I couldn't wait for Matt to get home.  I started thinking something really was not normal.  I gave her a suppository just to try ease the pain for her.  It only made her breathing get super labored????  Needless to say I made some phone calls and Matt and I ended up taking Tenna to the local ER.

I have issues with Preston's Hospital.  I'm sure a lot of it is just in my head, but I just don't feel good about it.  BUT when your baby is breathing crazy you go to the nearest ER.  I was less than thrilled with the Dr. they had on call.  I would NEVER go to him again.  I kinda was creeped by him.  He would stand there and not say a single word.  Just look at me and look around with his arms folded, then would simply say, "okay".  Towards the end of our 4-5 hour ER stay I almost would laugh when he would come in, just because things were sooo awkward!! 

Tenna was dehydrated so she got lots of fluid.  She also had an infection.  And a UTI.  The Dr. was wanting to scrape the back of Tenna's mouth (soft palate) because there was some white stuff he believed to be thrush.  I spoke up and told him he would not be touching anything back there.   I was NOT going to have him pop a stitch and end up re-doing a soft palate repair.  He looked at me funny, but respected my wishes and said they would just check her blood.  :] I was relieved.  Matt didn't feel comfortable with him scrapping her soft palate either!! 

To make a long story short we did not leave the Preston Hospital until Monday Morning. 
I feel like we have been on a roller coaster.  She still is fevering, and super cranky, with some super happy moments in between.  Matt and I are ready for a vacation!!!!

No comments: