Monday, June 28, 2010

13.1

Have you ever needed to accomplish something that you thought so impossible? Just to prove to yourself that you are strong? That you are able? I could go on for a million reasons why I have turned to running, but I think ultimaltly it has brought me strength mentally and physically! AND besided I have gotten to know some pretty amazing people!

Matt and I started out our May with a 5K. I had some pretty gnarly shin splints, but still finished in under 30 min.(28:50 or something like that) that was my goal. I was in so much pain if Matt hadn't been there running/slow jogging by my side not sure if I would have finished. My legs were hurting so bad that I really just wanted to cry. in fact pretty sure I did a little, but I pushed through and finished, letting Matt beat me by 2 seconds. I was actually pretty bitter about that. I have been training for a long time he had ran once before the race and kicked it like NOTHING..
The next week got me some new shoes. Life got lots better!
Next 5K I ran was much better, legs still were hurting quit a bit, but I finished in about 24 min. never really got my official time, but as I pasted the timer on the truck that is what I read. It did get me a little pumped!
I ended the month of May with the Cache Valley Biathlon. This was such a fun race. The friends I went with were a BLAST!! Thanks Shelly, Dennie, and Emily. and there were many first for many of us that day! The run was 5 miles and the bike was 16.5. We all finished within 5 min. of each other I believe. I was pretty pumped after that race! I felt great and just wanted more.
A couple weeks after this biathlon we kicked, (we all placed in the top 8 for our age groups) I traveled to Bear Lake for an over nighter.. a very special over nighter. I traveled again with some dear friends. Allyson and Natalie. Natalie has kinda been my guiding light. She is such a motivator-go-getter. oh how I do love her. I stole these pictures from her blog :] I want to share a little about this race, because it has meant the most to me, has proven more to me about me than I thought it could.

So here is the Bear Lake 1/2 marathon recap:

The night we arrived in our motel for some R&R HAHA Nat wouldn't let me finish brushing my teeth before the pic, so here I am toothpaste in mouth and brush in hand. :]

We had a great time soaking it up in the hot tub, and trying to get some sleep. I was so super jittery. I was going to be boarding a bus by 6:30 the next morning to run 13.1 miles. Leaving my dear friends behind while they boarded a bus an hour later to run a 10K (6.2 miles) We arrived in good time visited took some pics with our numbers we were so proud of! Then I was off to the bus. ALONE.


I think sitting on the bus looking at all the other runners waiting was the hardest part for me. I was so anxious and felt so unprepared. I swear I was on that bus for 5 hours. Looking out the window trying to stop shaking. I had so many thoughts going through my mind. What got me here? Why am I up this early on a bus bound for the other side of the lake, just to get off in the rain to RUN back here? I almost teared up. What a long journey this has been. and I'm only half way to where I would like to be. ONE DAY..

The drive to the starting point was one of the longest rides ever. There were many people on the bus asking if this was really just a 13.1 mile run. Everyone was saying "this is the HALF bus, isn't it?" it was, and when we got running we realized we had gone the long way to not drive on the dirt/mud road we ran on!

This run was beautiful. SO wish I had some pictures of what I was able to look at for the majority of this run. The lake was so pretty and calm. The skies were dark and cloudy leaving us wet with it's rain.

I found myself so lost in thought and the beauty of the lake. It could have been warmer, but before I knew it I was crossing the "ONE MORE MILE" mark. I think I had a hard time keeping a pace here, I wanted to bust it and finish. I would kick it and then it would kick me. I did finish with a sprint and when I saw Natalie and Ally at the finish it took all I had not to cry. It was one of the most amazing feelings. There is nothing I can compare it to, because it was it's own feeling. AMAZING. I was pretty pumped. I finished in a time of 2:21:20 not too bad. I wanted to finish in 2, but I was pleased with what I got. and plan on KILLING my time at the Top of Utah half in Aug.


me, Kod, Trav, Nat, Ally standing at the finish line. This was such a great day! One I want to remember for forever!

I am going to be running the Freedom 15K run this Saturday, followed by a triathlon the 10th of July. I'm pretty excited to finish these races. I have felt a transformation take place inside of me. That I know when I set my mind to do something I can accomplish it. Even if it seems like it is so far out of reach. Nothing is impossible.

6 comments:

Kunz Clan said...

You are so awesome! You could be a writer. I was really absorbed in your words. I am so happy for you that you are accomplishing so much. You have been very dedicated and it is funny to think that you can get nervous before a race, because you have practiced so hard. WAY 2 GO! Keep up the good work. Good luck this weekend with the Freedom run...enjoy each step!

Thompson said...

I think you are AMAZING, and crazy with determination. You look awesome! Way to go sis. hope you get all your goals : ) love you guys.

The Foster's said...

Em...still in so much awe of your AMAZING accomplishment, STILL! That was so awesome to conquer our goals together, we rock and I will so be back at again with ya soon. The pictures still get me gitty, such good times spent with some good friends. So VERY PROUD of you, you are right...NOTHING is impossible.

Kent, Krista and Family said...

WOW! You're one crazy girl. I really wish I had the drive and ambition but the truth is...I'm so not a runner and I would probably die in the second mile. 13.1 ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! You should be so proud of yourself, cause I sure am! Way to go EM!

Jess and Eli said...

Em you are so inspirational! Congrats on reaching for your dreams and hitting them on the mark!!!

Tina said...

Way to go, we will have to run one together someday!! You rock!