Wednesday, October 14, 2009

WELL BABY CHECK??

So I know I post so much about my little man DYLAN. I hope one day he enjoys looking back and reading all about his life!

Here are the thoughts/feelings I had at his last WELL BABY CHECK!!
I was a month late getting him in to see his Dr. So at his 18 mo. check up he was well into 19 mo. something that is normal for me I guess.. always a little behind. The important part is he gets in right? I usually CALL when he needs to be in. It just takes a month for there to be an opening! That is normal right?? Even for a procrastinator like myself?

I guess I will start from the beginning. Dylan is so smart and I was able to check YES to all the "does your baby..." questionnaires they make you take at the "well baby checks" I was pretty proud of my little man. SUCH a smarty pants! SO good at communicating. (I do wish he would forget how to tell me "Mom, I watch CARS, QUEEN TRACTORS, Mater..) His head and height look great! He goes through all the normal well baby check things and is growing how he should be, ALL BUT his weight was 19lbs. 4 oz. After Dr. Jorgenson comes in looks the dude over, tells me things look pretty good and then she drops this BOMB on me. She explains that he is just SO small, and would like to send us over to the Hospital for a "Sweat Test". This is when my head started spinning.. I had NO clue what she was talking about. I was thinking so many things at once. I had the thought of NO, this is our WELL baby check.. are you in the wrong room.. I don't even know what a "sweat test" is, but it doesn't sound NORMAL at all. It was almost like for a second all these emotions started to flood my body, but I wasn't sure why.

She then explains to me that his weight being so low and him NEVER being on the "chart" was a concern to her and she wanted to test him for CF. I could tell she could tell I was so confused.. and then explained to me that a sweat test would just determine if his skin was saltier than normal which was a sign of CF. ?? After we talked for a while Dr. J decided that she actually wouldn't want to waist time going to LRH for a sweat test to just get him hooked up with a specialist down in Salt Lake at Primary Children's. WHAT??!! She then explained to me what CF is. Here is is for those of you who were unfamiliar such as I:


Cystic fibrosis
Overview
Cystic fibrosis is an inherited disease that causes thick, sticky mucus to build up in the lungs and digestive tract. It is one of the most common type of chronic lung disease in children and young adults, and may result in early death.
Symptoms
Because there are more than 1,000 mutations of the CF gene, symptoms differ from person to person. But in general they include:
Belly pain from severe constipation
Coughing or increased mucus in the sinuses or lungs
Delayed growth
Fatigue
Infants may have salty-tasting skin
No bowel movements in first 24 to 48 hours of life
Stools that are pale or clay colored, foul smelling, or that float
Recurrent respiratory infections such as pneumonia or sinusitis
Weight loss, or failure to gain weight normally in childhood


NICE HUH!!??
After talking about all the symptoms we decided to put Dylan up to a "TEST" to see if we uped his intake of carbs calories such if he would gain. So Dylan has been loading up on "PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES" he just loves to say that. We actually have had to start giving him Pedia Sure. He seems TO LOVE IT, and calls it his Bear Milk because the bottle has a picture of a little bear on it. It seems to be helping We go in next month for a weight check, and if he hasn't gained what Dr. J wants we will be heading down to P.C.H. I am pretty confident that all is well, and he is just a small little boy! BUT if we do have to take the test then we would know FOR SURE that he doesn't have it!! That is what we are most confident about!

Dylan was able to get a flu shot, and his other necessary shots! He did super good, and got 2 suckers. He did keep telling me all the way to the car that his leg hurt. I think he just thought if he milked it he could get more suckers. The H1N1 vaccine wasn't out at the time we went DANGIT!! I hope we can stay healthy this fall/winter! There is always so much crap going around!

I hope to be posting in a month that we have a CHUNKER! I got thinking on the way home that day that he wasn't even "legal" to be sitting the way he has been sitting in his car seat. I guess with clothes and shoes on he might slide 20 pounds! I better make sure to put an extra heavy jacket on each day!

5 comments:

Howells Fam said...

Good luck getting him to gain weight! I hope that nothing is wrong, that sounds scary! He sure is adorable though - I love that first picture in your next post, he looks just like Matt!

Jess and Eli said...

I am sorry Emily. I completely understand the stresses...Addi had a really hard time gaining weight for the first two months of her life and her doctor began to test her for a variety of ailments...never fun. I hope all is fine with Dylan and that you and Matt will be able to put your minds at ease in a month! Best wishes!

Kunz Clan said...

Dylan is such a COOL little kid. I hope you are able to find out what is wrong so you don't have the worries anymore. Sorry for all of the times I have said, "Tyson is just as big as Dylan and he is only 7 months." Keep up the peanut butter cookies and such. Good luck Emily.

The Foster's said...

Em...wow, that sounds overwhelming. He is going to be just fine...I'm sure he'll weigh in on the hefty side come November. I'll keep sending treats and prayers your way.

shayne and kimberly said...

Best of luck!!! If you need anything give me a call. I hope all goes well with Dylan. you are in our thoughts and prayers. oh yeah and put a smile on, it will be OK!